October 10, 2017
Music in this episode by Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers).
- “American Girl” Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Shelter Records) 1976
- “Spike” Southern Accents (MCA Records) 1985
- “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” Greatest Hits (MCA, Geffen, UMe) 1993
- Chuck Prophet “Bad Year For Rock And Roll” Bobby Fuller Died for Your Sins (Yep Roc Records) 2017
- Lisa Said “For Today” First Time, Long Time (Bandcamp) 2015
- Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs “Here Comes My Girl” Under the Covers, Vol. 2 (Shout! Factory) 2009
- Matthew Sweet “Divine Intervention” Girlfriend (Zoo) 1991
- Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs “Free Fallin'” Under the Covers, Vol. 3 (Shout! Factory) 2013
- Matthew Sweet “American Girl” High School Reunion: A Tribute to Those Great 80s Films (American Laundromat Records) 2005
As we continue our week honoring Tom Petty and his band, the Heartbreakers, we get some help from some well-known guests we’ve had on the show! Listen as Matthew Sweet and Chuck Prophet join in to voice their thoughts on Petty and his influence on them as musicians.
FUN FACT: Tom Petty made 12.5% in royalties off of singer Sam Smith’s 2014 song “Stay with Me” after it was discovered that it sounded similar to Petty’s 1989 hit “I Won’t Back Down.”