March 8, 2017
- Iggy Pop – “Lust for Life” Lust for Life (RCA) 1977
- The Meters – “Cissy Strut” The Meters (Josie) 1969
- Jimi Hendrix Experience – “Fire” Are You Experienced (Track) 1967
- Led Zeppelin – “Immigrant Song” Led Zeppelin III (Atlantic) 1970
- Cream “White Room” Wheels of Fire (Polydor) 1968
This is Bobby Padavick’s third appearance on RTS and his wife Renee’s second.
Drummer for the Meters, Joesph Modeliste, is often referred to as Ziggy.
That smile, though:
Here’s the trailer for that Ginger Baker documentary Bobby mentioned
2 Replies to “Episode 43: Songs defined by drums”
I was listening, on my bike ride into work this morning, to the comments on drumming and the song where I always notice the drummer playing is Rod Stewart’s “Maggie May”. Mick Waller from the Jeff Beck Group is the drummer and when I hear the song anymore Waller’s playing always catches my attention. It’s like he’s driving the song forward while trying to upstage Rod’s vocal or emphasize the urgency of what Rod feels about Maggie. It’s part of what is missing from Rod’s work since he started recording in America is that the other players seem to be showcasing him rather than serving the song.