Episode 718: At the Movies – Ken Burns’s ‘Country Music’
October 30, 2019
- The Carter Family “Can the Circle Be Unbroken (By and By)” Can the Circle Be Unbroken (By and By) (Banner) 1935
- Johnny Cash “Hurt” American IV: The Man Comes Around (American Recordings, Universal) 2002
- Kris Kristofferson “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down” The Austin Sessions (Atlantic) 1999
- Jimmie Rodgers “T.B. Blues” The Essential Jimmie Rodgers (RCA) 1997
- DeFord Bailey “Fox Chase” Fox Chase / Old Hen Cackle (Shellac) 1928
- Hank Williams “Move It On Over” Move It On Over (MGM) 1947
- George Jones “He Stopped Loving Her Today” I Am What I Am (Epic Records) 1981
Jim recently accomplished the impossible. He watched all 16 hours of the ‘Country Music’ documentary series by filmmaker Ken Burns on PBS. With Patrick and listener Nick Scalera, who also happens to work at PBS’ Washington DC affiliate WETA, they share their thoughts on the grand piece of work.
Watch WETA’s videos about country music in DC at weta.org/tv/program/country-music
Check out some of these legends!
For your viewing pleasure…
Got a comment on the show or want to weigh in on a topic we discussed? Did we leave something out? Get something wrong? Email us at email@example.com
If none of those work, try this: