Episode 329: Guest Shot – Rockin’ the Cello
April 20, 2018
- The Rolling Stones “Ruby Tuesday” Between the Buttons (Decca Record Co. Ltd) 1967
- Not From Here “Eisenhower Interstate System” Jokes On, Jokes Off (Self-Released) 2015
- Demolition Means Progress “Stars” Lovesongs for Saboteurs (Self-Released) 2015
- LITE “Sequel To The Letter” Phantasia (Transduction Records) 2008
- Murder By Death “Foxglove” Good Morning, Magpie (Tent Show Records) 2010
- Cursive “The Recluse” The Ugly Organ (Saddle Creek) 2003
- Apocalyptica “Enter Sandman” Plays Metallica by Four Cellos (Mercury Records) 1996
- Office Of Future Plans “The Beautiful Barricades” Office of Future Plans (Dischord Records) 2011
- Blur “Song 2” Blur (Food) 1997
Where credit is due: Thumbnail photo by Juha Arvid Helminen.
‘Guest Shot’ week comes to a close with Minnesota’s very own BJ Bonin and Amy Waller! They talk cellos in popular music, and even give their non-cello ‘Perfect Pop’ selection.
FUN FACT: The band Apocalyptica’s debut album is Plays Metallica by Four Cellos. In a review for AllMusic, writer Eduardo Rivadavia said…
“The premise of a cello-playing four piece (from Finland, no less) performing the music of Metallica may seem outrageous at first, but much of the metal gods’ repertoire translates surprisingly well into this “classical” reading.”